Friday, May 5, 2017

Montessori School for the Kids and for Me!

So the news!

A few months ago we found out that a public charter Montessori school would be opening near us this fall. We put the kids names into the lottery and with a stroke of luck all three made it in. After a lot of discussion about pros and cons we decided to enroll all three for the fall. So, T, S, and D will all be going to Montessori school full time for the first time.
 At first I had many reservations about this brand new public charter school. But after actually meeting the Head of School and talking with her about her new school, I found new optimism that this would be a wonderful place to call school/home in the coming years.

The school presently enrolls about 360 students ages 3-12. They are adding 7th grade and 8th grade classes each successive years as well as adding additional classrooms to each level. The middle school years will be modeled after the erdkinder school.


T will be entering 5th grade this fall so he'll have a possible 4 years at the school before a transition to whatever high school holds for him. S will be entering 4th grade and D will be entering 1st grade.

We know a number of other friends who will also be attending but we are excited about being a part of a school community once again and meeting and making new friends too.

I am so very much relieved to not be facing another year of homeschooling. I chose to homeschool because I couldn't afford Montessori school and didn't want public school. I've spoken to many moms who love homeschooling their children. I love my children, but I do not love homeschooling them. Sending them to a Montessori school feels like a dream come true. I am hopeful that they WILL have the chance to develop to their potentials and grow a lifelong-love of learning in a true Montessori environment. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. And now it feels like another larger challenge has just landed square in my path.

This all brings me to my next update which is that I will also be attending Montessori school in the fall. I am will be training for an AMI primary teacher training in conjunction with a masters degree in education starting in the fall. Additionally, I'll be moving to Maryland to study for the year. With some family helping here in Texas and some helping me in Maryland, I am confident that we will get through this challenging year apart with grace and growth.

I am so very very thankful to all of the guides and friends who really supported me during this discernment process. I really couldn't have stepped out into the unknown like this without my support village.

Taking this step out was, and still is, scary, daunting, uncomfortable, and a tiny bit thrilling. I was so scared to ask for help, advice and assistance. I hate not knowing what is coming next. I hate plans that evolve and change. And the financial state of affairs, well that is enough to make any sane person faint. In a nut shell, leaving your family, spending tens of thousands of dollars, moving half way across the country for a year, and getting a second masters degree (I already have an MBA) is just CRAZY. What I learned was that grace and huge blessings await on the other side of "no way, I did it!" If I had never stepped out and done it, I would have never been able to say, "I did it!" And in this case, "I did it," feels pretty good.

The application process is over, and now it is time to plan, budget, and plan more. I have another month of school and the whole summer to plan and prepare, but I am so excited to get there, and begin.

So, this blog will no longer be about homeschooling that is for sure. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Perhaps it will become more about my personal Montessori journey, so stay tuned. (Wow, that is an old phrase, with iPods and cell phones, and Pandora, does any one "tune" anything in anymore?)

(The photos above are all S's plants. We have tomatoes!!! out back already!!! and we have cilantro, and sage, tons of zinnias, and gladiolas. And we have a couple of reseeded melon volunteers as well. Her garden is going to be a busy place this summer. And the last photo is of her amaryllis plants. A couple decided to make babies last year, and her grandmother gifted her another, the huge one in the center. S is going to have to find a larger space for all this, both indoors and out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment