Thursday, September 15, 2016

Homeschooling is a Lot of Work -- Rest!

Make sure you are healthy and strong

                        to keep up with school, family and life.


I've been battling to achieve good health for years and years and years. Everyone says, "oh, you have three children and you homeschool, you should be tired." I don't want to feel tired and foggy all the time.

I want to live. 


I want to really be present. I want to actually build something in this lifetime that is mine. But I feel my body is holding me back.

You name it I have it: PMS, depression, fatigue, foggy brain, anxiety, panic attacks, social phobias, insomnia, gut-issues, skin and hair issues and more.

After a tough Christmas last year, I was laid up in bed for January and most of February.
I kid you not. In bed. All day. No schooling. No cooking or cleaning. No showering on a regular basis. No appetite. No errands. No playdates. I put out food for children three times a day and that was about it. I am glad that my children are a bit self sufficient.

And then I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired.


Somewhere in my depressive fog I found the courage to go an integrative medicine doctor to get some answers. After a ton of blood testing, it seems I have hormone issues, thyroid issues, and an active Epstein-Barr virus.


After four months of supplements, medications, no exercise, and as much rest as I could manage (our summer was a little all over the place) I am in a better place. A very precarious better place. Everyday I feel like I am balancing on the edge of a cliff. If I exert myself too much, I am in bed the next day. Literally.

How does a must-do-something-type-A-gal get anything done? Slowly. Very Slowly.


So, I am constantly tweaking our schedule, trying this and that, to find a rhythm that keeps our school work coming along and my health intact. When we get to something that kind of works for us, I'll let you know.

For now, I am working on taking time each morning to be still. 


I am working on giving myself some grace and intentionally assigning fewer tasks each day. 



I am working on an exciting art project, which is something I haven't done since I started homeschooling. 

And I am letting go of some higher expectations and pressure and just letting life take us to where we should be.

 My best advice to all tired parents, especially those who are at home with children all day and all night, is to REST. 



When you need to, really let go and rest.



Don't do what needs to get done, do the opposite and do nothing on that to-do list. 

 Do something for only you on a regular basis. And guard that me-only-time with everything you've got in you (which may not be much if you are like I was...but still, you gotta fight.) Give yourself grace. Get off the highway and take a rest stop. If you are trying to make "good time," how are you going to make it at all if you run out of gas, don't use the rest-room, and never get a snack for the road?


When you invest in rest, you invest in you.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I think my comment disappeared. Trying again.

    Really needed to hear this today. Beautiful post. Thank you. Linked to you today: http://whatdidwedoallday.blogspot.com/2016/09/how-are-we-doing.html

    ReplyDelete