Monday, September 8, 2014

Where We Are - September 8, 2014

Goodness, this move has been long and drawn out. We are just starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. (Albeit, one that illuminates a very, very, busy autumn season.) 

We are finally in the house, but definitely not settled yet. Today we are supposed to have 48 cases of flooring and other materials delivered. Friday, 3 strangers are going to start spending long hours inside my home putting that flooring down on the staircase and entire second level. A week from today the job will hopefully be done. And then it will be moving everything upstairs, receiving furniture deliveries, and making our classroom. I hope that last part will go quickly and we'll be able to start at the beginning of October.

So in the mean time, I am focusing on Christmas, Thanksgiving and the New Year. Yes...I plan that far in advance. Partly because my house will continue to look like this for the rest of the week...
...and partly because that time of the year is very hectic anyway. We've planned an international vacation during the exact time I should be hot gluing adornments to gift wrapped packages and shipping them off to out-of-town relatives and our Virginia Christmas destination. Yes, we've also decided to spend Christmas and the New Year in Virginia which means EVERYTHING needs to be shipped there.(except our hanbok--traditional Korean dress clothing--thank goodness.) I like planning, (though I am getting sick of the searching for things on the Internet if you can believe that) so I generally enjoy jotting down calendar alerts to do things like order premium baking chocolates in November when it is less likely that they will liquefy in transit.

So I thought that I'd share with you some pictures of our classroom...decked out in shaggy carpet (which will be GONE this weekend) and painters tape that I put down to plan the placement of our shelving and tables. 



It is more like 20.5' x 12.25', so a reasonable space. I think we'll have close to the same linear shelf space in this room as we did last year. I am going to construct new custom shelving to make sure we take advantage of every square inch in that space. The biggest challenge will be integrating the large number of primary materials with the moderate number of elementary materials and making sure they are all appropriately accessible. Wish me luck.

Until our next update, I'll leave you with a last pic of my little 'ham'.

6 comments:

  1. I thought I was a planner, but I would like to say that I have officially never put painters tape on the floor to plan out the shelves in any of the places we have lived. I have, however, shipped needed items to Christmas destinations on more than one occasion rather than attempting to pack it all.

    I can't wait for you to be back, mostly because I selfishly miss seeing all of your Montessori posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I was just WAITING to put down tape in the rooms upstairs to figure out if the new furniture would fit...and how. I think it took us 2 months between the time we put down the contract on the house and the time we actually moved in and all I could do was make a list of furniture possibilities without knowing if they would fit through the door or in the rooms upstairs!!
      This is the first time I am doing a long-distance Christmas. I am worried about the airline losing all the gifts in checked baggage, so I think I am going to just have to order it all and have it sent to Virginia. And then, ship my gift wrapping materials...oh goodness...before planning our thanksgiving dinner (we are hosting guests this year.) How do YOU do it all?
      I can't wait to get back to school too! I feel time is slipping away and their brains are going to mush doing nothing. We've been doing other Montessori-like-activities around the house in other ways, but T told me that he wants to start with racks and tubes! We'll get back to it before you know it. :) thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that you are *sort of* settling in. The amount of work is unimaginable - well, I know the moving, but it's always such a big ordeal, and you get so tired of cardboard boxes and digging! I can't wait to see your year get started, too - it's like finding an old friend again :) So glad you are all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope to start blogging about school stuff again very soon!

      Delete
  3. Yay! You're back on! Good to see you guys' faces :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Brings back memories. That school room is going to be GORGEOUS! Oh, those high ceilings and that big window! So jealous. I hope you print that first picture of the kids and hang it up somewhere. They sure know how to ham it up.

    The painter's tape makes it look like there was some kind of crime in there. You need a disclaimer like "No Montessori materials were harmed in the writing of this blog post."

    I hope your youngest enjoys dropping things over the stair rail. How could he possibly resist? Good times.

    ReplyDelete