Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Part 1 Week 17, December 16, 2013


We aren't really doing school this week. We've been at the planetarium, which was way cool because the guide covered some of the exact things we'd been learning recently. T was belting it out, "if the earth didn't rotate, one side would be very cold and the other side would burn up!" You can read more about that in this post.

Today, we visited our friends at our former Montessori school. We had a lot of fun, did a lot of works, and since I forgot the camera, took no pictures. 

BUT, I did want to show you this little tid-bit...it is a Montessori-inspired work I made up for D. And I guess T too. 
The landmark figures are from Safari Toobs and the cards I made myself.  
 I used small pieces of pre-cut craft wood you can buy at the craft store. I Googled pictures of each landmark, formatted them, printed them and cut them out, and then used Mod-Podge to paste them on to the wood.
I was debating whether I should put a description piece on the reverse side, or a location map. I chose a location map, since I felt T, who can read, would like to know where these landmarks are located, and because the map is a more visual clue for someone like D, who is becoming familiar with puzzle maps, but can't read yet.

I Googled these maps as well, formatted them in my publishing program, and added red dots to denote the local of each landmark. I think I might have also added country names here and there too. Then I printed them, and Mod-Podged them to the reverse side of the wooden card.
  

The littlest one was VERY interested in getting his hands on this work.

So there you have it. Feel free to Pin this if you'd like. And I'll be back for a later-in-the-week update.

3 comments: